Wednesday, January 18, 2012

"On a scale of 1 to 10, I feel like I'm gonna throw up."

Anyone else watch The Bachelor this past Monday? Wow, those girls were huge bitches to Shawntel! At least there were lots of hilarious one-liners that made those bitchy girls sound dumber than usual.

Anyway...

I went grocery shopping today for the first time since starting my Ripped in 30 workout video. Actually, that also means it was the first time going grocery shopping in 2012 for more than just Lean Cuisine meals (delicious) and milk. Before going to the store, I got online to check out the free 30 day meal plan that Jillian recommends in combination with the workout video to get the best possible results. Looking through the breakfasts, lunches, snacks, and dinners, I came up with a list of Jillian-approved items. Here's what I ended up with:


All of this was $68.12! I felt like I got a lot for that price. Thank you, Wally World!

[Random side note: I took seven reusable grocery bags with me because my list was so big that I wasn't sure how much space it would take up. Also, some of the baggers at Walmart really suck and only put a couple things in each bag, so then even if you brought reusable bags they still end up using some plastic bags because they're bad packers. I only ended up using four of the seven bags that I brought with me!]

I found a dinner recipe on Jillian's meal plan that I wanted to make for my roommate and myself:


Honey Lemon-Marinated Chicken Breasts
Ingredients:
1/4 cup organic raw honey
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 teaspoon oil, vegetable
1 teaspoon rosemary, crushed (I didn't have rosemary by itself, so I used Italian Seasoning)
1 teaspoon lemon peel, grated
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
4 organic chicken breasts, skinless

[I didn't use organic. Obviously that's optional, depending on what you have. I just used regular Kroger brand honey in the bear-shaped container and it turned out delicious. Also, the chicken I used was what I had just bought at Walmart--boneless, skinless, vegetarian fed, humanely raised, no hormones or antibiotics (at least that's what the package said...)].

Preparation:
Combine all ingredients (except chicken) and mix well. Marinate chicken in honey-lemon mixture 1 hour in shallow baking dish. Broil chicken 5 minutes, brush with pan drippings, turn and broil 5 minutes longer or until juices run clear. If desired, bring marinade to a boil; simmer 2 minutes. Strain hot marinade over chicken.

Servings: 4. 189 Calories per serving. 5 g Fat (1 g Saturated Fat), 60 mg Cholesterol, 388 mg Sodium, 18 g Carbohydrate, 0 g Fiber, 23 g Protein.

For our sides, I made fresh green beans and I made an attempt at mashed cauliflower. It's supposed to be a healthier alternative to mashed potatoes, but it didn't really turn out very well. I think you need a full size blender or food processor (neither of which I have) to get it whipped and broken down small enough that it actually seems like potatoes. Unfortunately, my brand new hand mixer didn't quite do it, so we ended up with something that looked like mashed potatoes, but was really just little, itty, bitty, tiny pieces of cauliflower. Oh well! Now I know! Plus, potatoes are my all-time favorite food, so there was no way I'd give them up even if this tasted really good.

My roommate contributed the salad with pomegranate Craisins and sliced almonds. And she brought home a lovely Chardonnay called The Dreaming Tree. Guess who makes it? Dave Matthews! I love wine and I love Dave Matthews, so it was a match made in Heaven.


Overall, a successful shopping trip and a tasty meal for two!

3 comments:

  1. YUM! Invite me over when you make that turkey bacon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have you over for a night of Breakfast for Dinner! It's the lower sodium turkey bacon, too, so it's extra better for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dinner was delicious!!

    My favorite Bachelor one-liner: "whats-her-butt"

    ReplyDelete