Saturday, August 4, 2012

Bedroom Art & Aldi


I wanted to share some art that I made for our new bedroom. I made the middle piece of this art a couple of months ago, and I made the outer two pieces a couple weeks ago.







The words on the middle piece are lyrics from the song "Ho Hey" by The Lumineers. Ryan and I love The Lumineers, and since we like to [talentlessly] sing that line to each other, I thought, "Why not make some art?" I got the idea for that piece from a pin that I came across on Pinterest.

The outer two were inspired by another pin that I came across on Pinterest! I used a stamp to make the background pattern, and I just freehanded the "R" and the "K," making sure I made them look as similar as possible. I really wanted to do exactly what I saw on Pinterest, but since I had already made the center piece of art, I knew I wanted to use it.

I love making art for myself. Partly because it is a less expensive way to decorate my apartment, and partly because if it's for me, as long as I like it, it doesn't matter if anyone else likes it or not! And it doesn't have to be perfect. It's quite obvious that I wasn't worried about being too perfect with the outer two pieces of art, but I think that makes it unique and you can tell that it is homemade.


Earlier today, Ryan and I had our first Aldi shopping experience! It was great. They have pretty much everything you could possibly need, for a fraction of what the same products would cost at Kroger, Target, or even Walmart. My favorite part was that you could recognize what the products were because, although the brand/company name was different, the packaging was in the exact same colors and designs as well-known brand name products.

Some of my favorite comparisons:




We ended up getting 18 items for $50. To me, that seems like a really good deal! Included in those items were 3 large chicken breasts and 2.38lb 90/10 ground beef! We were really surprised at how much quality stuff we got for just $50.

2 comments:

  1. I thought it looked pretty perfect when I saw it!! Can I commission you to make me something?

    Jim and Laura shopped at Aldi before it was cool. That makes them kind of hipster, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so artsy and I LOVE IT! I think its perfect. I wanna see your new place in person :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete